Not quite Chinese, not quite Jamaican, this Caribbean Chow Mein recipe blends the best of both!
When I was a kid, Sunday afternoons often consisted of spending time at my grandparents’ house after church. We’d play in the yard or watch TV as my grandparents and aunts prepared a nice lunch for us. This perennial favorite was often Caribbean Chow Mein.
I took for granted that this dish just magically appeared in front of me. I didn’t realize the work that went into the preparation of Caribbean Chow Mein. My mom passed away when I was a kid and my dad wasn’t much of a cook, so I never learned how to make the dish properly. I’ve just gone on memory of what was in the dish to try and recreate it. I’ve cooked it several times for Glen and he’s always given it high praises so I must be doing something right.
Ingredients for the best Caribbean Chow Mein
12 oz. package dried Chow Mein noodles
Chicken (and marindade) for Caribbean Chow Mein
- 2 lbs. cut up chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Cassareep sauce (I’ve only been able to find this on Amazon)
- 2 tbsp. Caribbean green seasoning (you can find this at most grocers in the spice aisle)
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- dash of salt
Vegetables for Caribbean Chow Mein:
- 1 cup (approximately 3 carrots) peeled and diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion (diced)
- 2-3 carrots sliced
- 1 head of cabbage diced
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 – 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic grated
Instructions for the best Caribbean Chow Mein Recipe:
- Cook Chow Mein noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for chicken, reserving 1 tbsp of olive oil. Set aside and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Prep vegetables and set aside.
- Sauté chicken thighs in tbsp of olive oil for about 10 minutes until cooked through, set aside when done.
- In the same large pot, add soy sauce, sesame oil, water, and pepper (if using). Let simmer for 30 seconds. Add vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat off, add seasoned Chow Mein noodles to pot with vegetables and toss in chicken. Adjust salt to taste.
Leave a Comment