Start the day off right with this heart pancake recipe for Valentines Day
My husband and I are not the kind of couple that does a big to do about Valentine’s Day. Some couples go all out with the guy sending red roses to his significant other on Valentine’s Day and then having dinner at a romantic restaurant to end the special romantic day. For us, that just doesn’t matter so much. I mean why make such a big deal about this one day when everyone else is. Personally, I would rather be surprised on a random day then to be rushed in and out of an over-crowded restaurant on Valentine’s Day.
The hubby and I just stay home and cook a meal together. To me, that’s way more sexy and fun than going out on Valentine’s Day. But I got to thinking that maybe there are couples with conflicting schedules on Valentine’s Day or ones that can’t do a romantic dinner together. So why not have breakfast in bed with your sweetie. That’s why I’ve got this fantastic Valentine’s Day heart pancake breakfast skewer recipe.
Feel free to use a pancake mix or make pancakes from scratch. Whichever you prefer. Make two batches of pancakes one regular and one with the red food color in it. Add enough food color to make the batter either pink or red, your choice. Using a griddle, make your pancakes according to the directions on the box or from scratch as you would normally prepare them.
Cut the tops of the strawberries. You’ll need about two per skewer. Let the pancakes cool then cut with them with the cookie cutters using a knife to cut away any extra pancake. If you are like me, you save them to eat after the skewers so they don’t go to waste.
Once the pancakes are cut, assemble your skewer in any pattern you want. I did a white heart pancake, a strawberry, a marshmallow, a red heart pancake and repeated. Expect to use about 3 pancakes per skewer. I used the square s’mores marshmallows cut in half.
Once assembled melt your chocolate per package directions. Add melted chocolate to a ziploc bag and snip off the corner of the bag. Use to drizzle chocolate over skewers. You could also do pink or red chocolate as well to keep with the theme.
This is a great way to start Valentine’s Day in a romantic way and impress your sweetie. It is a great idea if you’ve got a busy day and won’t be able to have dinner with your partner on Valentine’s Day. They’ll love that you made so much of an effort with these heart shaped Valentine’s Day skewers recipe. Enjoy!
Ingredients for perfect Valentine’s day heart shaped pancakes recipe:
- Your favorite pancake mix or enough batter to make 10 pancakes
- Red food coloring
- 1 container strawberries
- 1 bag Jumbo marshmallows
- 1 bag Melting chocolate
- Package Wood skewers
- Heart cookie cutters
Instructions for the best heart pancake breakfast skewers:
- Prepare two batches of pancakes: one regular and one with the red food color in it.
- Follow instructions for pancake making according to box directions or your recipe.
- After the pancakes have cooled, cut them with the cookie cutters using a knife to cut away any extra pancake.
- Rinse the strawberries. Cut the tops of the the strawberries. Allow for 2 strawberries per breakfast skewer.
- Cut the marshmallows in half.
- Next, assemble your skewer. It is up to you how you want to arrange them. I did a regular heart pancake, a strawberry, a marshmallow, a red heart pancake and repeated. I recommend using 3 pancakes per skewer.
- Melt your chocolate per package directions.
- Add melted chocolate to a ziploc bag and snip off the corner of the bag. Use to drizzle chocolate over skewers.