Stay on your keto diet without feeling like you are on a diet with these Keto lettuce wraps.
I love these keto lettuce wraps for an abundance of reasons. One of the reasons that this keto recipe is so great is that because the main part of it is cooked in the crock pot it is easy to set it and forget it. You don’t have to keep a constant eye on this recipe. Another reason this keto recipe is so wonderful is that it is something you can enjoy (for the most part) with your family and it won’t really feel like they are missing out on carbs with these keto lettuce wraps.
How many carbs are you allowed on the Keto diet?
When following the keto diet, your total carb intake should only be 20 to 50 grams a day in order to properly maintain ketosis.
Keto food is brain food!
The benefits of the ketogenic diet aren’t limite to weight loss. The ketogenic diet may boost your brainpower.
Also check out these 4 essential things you MUST KNOW BEFORE STARTING THE KETO DIET
Other benefits of the keto diet:
The keto diet can help improve blood sugar, lower cholesterol, and may even slow the growth of tumors.
You’ll need to drink extra water on the keto diet
You’ll lost minerals and have less carbs which will lead to lack of hydration. This can even lead to leg cramps.
PrepTime: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours
Ingredients for these delightful (you won’t miss the carbs) Keto lettuce wraps / boats
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- ¾ c hot sauce (I like Frank’s Red Hot)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp water
- Romaine lettuce hearts
- Ranch dressing (for serving)
Directions for these incredible Keto diet friendly lettuce wraps
1. Using kitchen scissors/shears, trim all fat from the chicken breasts. Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray, and place the chicken in the bottom. (I used a 6 qt. slow cooker, but a smaller size could also be used)
2. Add the coconut oil to a medium sized heat safe bowl. Microwave for approximately 45 seconds, or until coconut oil has melted. Add in the hot sauce, salt, and garlic powder, stirring well until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Pour hot sauce mixture over the chicken breasts, cover, and cook for 4-5 hours on low, or 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours on high.
4. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred. Place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker.
5. In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seed and 1 tbsp of water until you have a creamy slurry mixture. Pour the mixture over the shredded chicken mixture, and stir all ingredients well. (the ground flax seed acts as a thickener for the sauce) Continue cooking for 20-30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
6. Serve the chicken in romaine lettuce boats, drizzled with ranch dressing. Enjoy!
I love this meal if you are hosting guests. Because it means that they can enjoy the meal and you don’t have to be eating something else during a meal at your place. Also, you don’t have to feel like you are missing out by being on the Keto diet as this is something that the entire crowd can enjoy. Of course, you can ask your guests to bring a dish too, and just abstain from eating anything carb heavy. Plus you can have time to tidy up your place while this keto recipe is cooking, since it is easily made in the crock pot.