Tired of the same old holiday dinner fare? This year, Seasons 52, has some great twists on traditional favorites to make at home. Below you’ll find recipes for Butternut Squash Soup, Turkey Skewers and Mushroom Stuffing.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe
1 ea Butternut squash – about 4½ packed cups
2 ea Apples (not red), peeled, cored and sliced
1 tbs Brown sugar
½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 tbs Canola oil
1 ea Onion, Spanish, peeled and diced ½”
1 tbs Ginger, minced
1 quart Vegetable stock (low-sodium)
1 tsp Chipotle Tabasco
2 tbs Honey
1 tbs Kosher salt
Garnish for this restaurant quality butternut squash soup:
1 ea Apple, washed, cut in small slivers
Dollop Sour cream, reduced fat
Pinch Chives, sliced fine
Pinch Pumpkin seeds, toasted
• Wash and prep veggies, cut squash in half, lengthwise and spoon out seeds.
• Place squash halves and apples on foil-lined cookie tray, cut side up.
• Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle mix evenly onto squash.
• Roast squash halves in 350º oven for 45 to 60 minutes until tender.
• Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes until able to handle.
• Scoop pulp from skins. Reserve pulp for soup.
• Heat oil in soup pot at medium heat. Add apples, onion and ginger.
• Sauté for 5 minutes until tender and sweet.
• Add vegetable stock. Stir in cooked squash pulp.
• Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
• Add Tabasco, honey, and salt.
• Puree fine in a blender until smooth.
• Garnish with apple slivers, sour cream, chives, and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Serves: 6 to 8
Easy turkey skewers recipe from Seasons 52
Ingredients for an easy turkey skewer recipe:
2 lbs Turkey breast, no skin
2 ea Onions, medium-size
2 ea Yellow bell pepper, medium-size
2 ea Red bell pepper, medium-size
4 tbs Ginger, fresh ground
¼ cup Soy sauce, low sodium
¼ cup Rice wine vinegar
¼ cup Honey
1 tbs Kosher salt
1 tbs Fresh ground pepper
2 tbs Extra virgin olive oil
• Cut peppers and onions into 1½” squares.
• Sauté on medium-high for 30 seconds with extra virgin olive oil. Let cool.
• Cut turkey into 1½” cubes and place in shallow dish.
• Mix rice vinegar, ginger, soy, and honey. Pour over turkey and let marinate for one hour.
• With a skewer, place turkey cube, yellow bell pepper and red bell pepper and then repeat 4 times with turkey, yellow and red bell pepper. Repeat procedure on three more skewers.
• Prepare grill.
• Sprinkle turkey skewers with salt and pepper. Grill on medium-high heat 6-7 minutes per side. Baste turkey with BBQ sauce halfway. Cook turkey to 165°. Keep warm.
Take favorite store BBQ for basting
(optional, add ¼ cup lime juice, 1 bunch chopped cilantro)
Or maple-bourbon glaze at holiday time
Mushroom stuffing recipe (kick that bland box stuffing to the curb)
3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil for vegetable sauté
1 ea Yellow Onion, peeled, diced ¼”
1 stalk Celery, washed, diced ¼”
4 ea Portobello mushrooms, gills scraped, dice ¼”
2 tbsp Garlic, minced
4 tsp Kosher Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper, fresh ground
2 qts Whole Wheat Bread, diced ½”
1 cup Chicken stock, low sodium
1 cup Sour cream, non-fat
1 tbsp Thyme, fresh, washed, picked, chopped
1 bunch Parsley, fresh, washed, picked, chopped
1 ea Glass pan, 8 x 8
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil for glass pan
4 spritz Extra virgin olive oil in a spritz bottle
• Heat 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in large sauté pan for 1-2 minutes over medium-high heat until there’s a light smoke.
• Add prepped vegetables, salt and pepper and sauté in extra virgin olive oil until soft, 4-5 minutes. *Vegetables may be sautéed in batches depending on pan size.
• Once cooked, remove vegetables and place them in a medium size mixing bowl.
• Add all remaining ingredients and mix well with a plastic spatula.
• Put mix into oiled glass pan and spread out mixture to create an even layer.
• Spritz the top with extra virgin olive oil 2 times.
• Bake for one hour at 350°.
• Half way through baking, spritz the top again with extra virgin olive oil 2 times.
This mushroom stuffing recipe serves: 8 to 10